Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ugly Details

As we do more in the workshops people open up and start sharing more of thier lives and stories. I knew we'd be working with Iraqi refugees, and I knew I would start hearing and seeing what the impact of the war.

One of the youth in my workshop last week told us about walking with a friend in the street, and the friend being shot right next to him. Our program lead was telling me a friend brought her family out of Baghdad because she was tired of her children seeing dead bodies at the end of the street every day.

One of the participants in my workshop this week got a phone call at lunch today - an aunt's home in Iraq was bombed today. He told us "I wish someone would call and tell me they planted a tree or a flower in Baghdad, insead of calling to say that there is a bomb in my family's home." I've heard some of the history of his family's political ties and history, which only complicates matters.

1 comment:

  1. I wish them peace, it's sad how the international community still stands as spectators to all of this.

    ReplyDelete