Thursday, August 6, 2009

About to Depart

Here it is, my last day in Jordan. It's late, the moon is full and my mind is fairly scattered.

I just got back from Damascus. I've fallen in love with a new city, and it didn't even take a full three days. Walking the old city, sumptuous meals, glowing after a visit to the Turkish bath. Being led to a taxi back to Amman by a one legged man who sounded so, sooo much like Robert Deniro.

Waiting to cross the border into Syria took five damn hours. Five. Not for security mind you, just bureaucracy. But, I was travelling with a Canadian who only needed 10 minutes - her visa cost $52 and mine was only $16 - time or money. The wait was good for me to remember/learn that borders can just be about waiting and ridiculous process, but nothing more serious.

We went to the Mar Mousa Monastery in the mountains - again - incredible luxurious silence. They had a worship service and communion. I, and my two companions, were about the only folks who didn't take communion. I started thinking about my relationship with Christianity again... I was baptized when I was seven, too young for it to be a choice, but well after my grandfather's address. Would it have meant more to me if it had been him, rather than some random and now faceless minister? Probably not, but I can't help wondering.

Thinking about/planning for next year: I'm still going to apply for a Fulbright, probably to do research in Cairo, but more and more not really wanting to live in Cairo for a whole year. I've been thinking about that for the better part of my month here.

Other tidbits...

Archetypes: so many archetypes, and repetition of a few of them too.
Displaced hostility from others, woo.
Trucks that stay 'tug well' on the back.
Pharmacy shelves with whitening cream and personal lubricant right next to each other.
Stories of Disney Land, and a small world after all playing outside during worship.
Lost bandana, mourning of teal bandana that came from the Pendle Hill free room and had a corner missing.
Ridiculous subtitles like "y" for several lines from a character in a bootlegged movie.
Funding: my funding scholarship was approved!
Needing reminders to not over-work, still.
Clean hair, love for having clean hair.
Theme songs.
Rosaries for sale next to a mini Hezbollah flag.

Back to the moon, the laundry, the movie... and maybe some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment